Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Silk Twister

A while ago (read 2007) , I wend to Effiloche with Jenn -- she had promised me to buy me a skein of yarn as a thank you for some photos I took for her.

I had always wanted to have some sari silk, so that's what I ended up getting. Jenn bought me one skein, and I bought a second (just in case...).




I wanted to make a corkscrew scarf with it, I just thought it would be very cool one skein project.



So, this is what I did. I cast on a bunch of stitches (100, I think), and then every other round or two, I did an increase on every stitch to double the rows. I ended up with about 500 or 550 stitches to cast off at the end. Also, some of the rows were garter stitch and some were stocking stitch so that it doesn't roll too much. I found the pattern online somewhere - if you want it, leave me a comment and I'll try to find the pattern and post it)



In the end, I decided to give this to my mother for Christmas, as I wasn't thrilled with the final result. I liked it enough, but not for me. For the next skein, I'll probably just do a simple shawl with big needles like the Handmaiden bias shawl.

I have also been busy doing some hand-dyeing. I made three gorgeous skeins which I'll be photographing soon. I actually have photos of the skeins, the cakes, but need to take pics of the swatches. What a difference it makes when knit up!! I can't wait to make all three pairs of socks.

0 Comments: